The hospital authorities appear to be covering up the Thursday incident where doctors performed autopsy in open at Gadhakota government hospital although National Human Rights Commission had earlier issued a notice to the hospital in this regard.
The district collector has initiated probe in the matter, while social activists have slammed the health department and the hospital authorities. District collector AK Singh said he is inquiring into the matter and action will be taken against those responsible.
Social activist and convener of Sarvadaliya Nagrik Sangharsh Morcha Raghu Thakur said the incident is shameful that autopsies are being conducted in open. The condition of health facilities in the state is pathetic and state bureaucracy has no respect of NHRC. The PWD should have constructed a new temporary structure before razing the old structure, he said.
Chief medical and health officer Dr RC Jain said the place where autopsy was conducted was well-covered according to his information. Dr SL Shakya, who conducted autopsy, said that he had to conduct autopsy due to public pressure and sentiments.
He said the place where autopsy was conducted had side walls but it was open from above. The PWD had not informed us when they razed the old temporary structure otherwise new temporary structure would have been built. He said work on new temporary structure has begun and will be completed soon.
PWD (SDO) Awinendra Singh, however, said that before pulling down the old temporary structure he had informed the health department and hospital doctors asking them to make temporary arrangements for conducting autopsies till the new permanent structure was built.