Engineering student Ajmal PM died on Friday of burns he had suffered allegedly during ragging at the hands of some of his seniors in college.
Ajmal, 18, a first-semester aeronautical engineering student at Sha Shib College of Engineering in Chikkaballapur district (north Bangalore), had been admitted to hospital following burn injuries in his hostel bathroom on March 22.
Ajmal was reported to have first told the police that senior students who had ragged him threw him into the bathroom and set him on fire. The police had booked a case of murder attempt.
But, according to the police, Ajmal's changing statements led them to suspect he either tried to commit suicide or burnt himself in the fire that started accidentally. "It is possible that a spark from his cigarette caused the fire," the police said.
Ajmal's family alleged seniors used to repeatedly rag Ajmal and extort money from him.