Baramulla boy still missing, police deny pushing him into waters
Fearing protests in response to separatists' shutdown call and in reaction to missing boy in security forces' chase in north Kashmir's Baramulla district, the J-K government imposed "undeclared curfew" to keep people indoors.india Updated: Jul 18, 2010 23:10 IST
Fearing protests in response to separatists' shutdown call and in reaction to missing boy in security forces' chase in north Kashmir's Baramulla district, the J-K government imposed "undeclared curfew" to keep people indoors.
For the second day today, the police continued its operation to trace the whereabouts of the boy, identified as Farhan Rafiq Buhroo, a Class VII student, who fell into Jhelum river when security forces chased protesters on Cement Bridge at Azad Gunj in Baramulla, 65 km north of Srinagar, on Saturday. The incident triggered violent protests in the entire town. Severe security restriction were imposed in the district to stop protesters from coming onto the streets.
"An unruly mob of about 600-800 protesters armed with axe's, iron rods and petrol bombs started heavy stone pelting on the police party deployed for law and order duties at the bridge on Saturday," said a police spokesman.
The police claimed 25 police officials including an officer were injured in stone battles.
"The police party faced the situation with utmost restraint
using only baton and tear smoke. A series of patrol bombs were hurled on the police party, police party clashed the rioters several times," said the spokesman.
The police spokesman said the cause of drowning is yet to be ascertained.
"The body has not been recovered so far," he added.
Senior Superintendent of Police, Baramulla, Sheikh Mehmood denied the
allegations that the boy was chased by Special Operations Group personnel and pushed into the river.
Meanwhile, curfew and undeclared curfew was imposed in several districts of north and south Kashmir. Many police stations in Srinagar continued to be either under curfew or curfew-like restrictions.
Separatist Hurriyat group headed by Syed Ali Geelani has called for a
Valley-wide shutdown on Sunday to protest alleged human rights violations by the security forces in Kashmir.
The shutdown is part of the group's continuing 'Quit Kashmir' programme.
Traffic intersections were blocked with coils of razor-fitted wire in the Old City and in Maisuma and Batmaloo areas. Vehicular and pedestrian movements were disallowed by security forces in most part of Srinagar.
"We were asked to impose Section 144 strictly," a police officer told the Hindustan Times on the condition of anonymity.
Kashmir on Sunday entered into fifth week of protests, shutdowns and curfew triggered by the killing of a boy on June 11 in security forces' action.
Since then 15 civilians have died in Kashmir. Separatists have given a shutdown and protests programme for the whole upcoming week.