Baramulla tense after violent protests, curfew imposed | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 25, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Baramulla tense after violent protests, curfew imposed

india Updated: Jun 29, 2009 19:17 IST
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

An indefinite curfew was imposed in Baramulla town of North Kashmir on Monday following violent protests over alleged police misbehaviour with a woman which left a youth dead and several persons, including a police officer injured.

The curfew was imposed in the town, 55 kms from Srinagar, on Monday afternoon after securitymen opened fire to quell a mob protesting against local policemen who allegedly misbehaved with a woman in a police station last evening, official sources said.

A 20-year-old was killed and three persons critically injured in the police firing.

The sources said police opened fire after teargas shelling and baton charge failed to disperse hundreds of violent protestors.

"Curfew has been imposed in the town to maintain law and order," Deputy Commissioner Baramulla Latif-u-Zaman Deva told PTI.

As the protestors gained strength and continued stone pelting, police opened fire resulting in the death of Mohammad
Saleem Wani.

They said three others identified as Amir Rashid, Javid Ahmad and Tariq Ahmad Malik were also hit by bullets and
were brought to different hospitals in Srinagar.

The condition of all the three injured was stated to be "critical", official sources said, adding while Rashid and
Ahmad were undergoing treatment at Soura Medical Institute for head injuries, Malik was admitted in SMHS hospital.

The death of Wani in police firing spread like wild fire and thousands of people assembled at his residence and
later took out a procession.

Carrying the body of the deceased, the procession was heading towards the Deputy Commissioner's office when police
announced imposition of indefinite curfew through the public address system, the sources said.

This incident is a fresh blow on the people's mind following the Shopian case where two young women were allegedly raped and murdered by the security forces around May 30.