Bartender hurt as fire stunt goes awry | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 23, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Bartender hurt as fire stunt goes awry

Fire alarms fail to go off after mishap at pub launch; fire dept issues notice to mall, orders closure of bar for violating safety norms.

india Updated: Dec 18, 2011 00:33 IST
Sunil Thapliyal

A bartender suffered facial injuries while performing fire stunts during the launch of a new pub Zygo at MGF Metropolitan Mall on Friday night. Victim Sandeep's condition is said to be stable as he was discharged from hospital after treatment.

The Haryana fire service department has, meanwhile, issued a notice to the mall authorities and have also ordered closure of the bar for allegedly switching off the fire alarm system that failed to go off when the fire stunts were being performed even as party revellers were smoking on the premises.

The water sprinklers too were non-functional.

While officials claimed the bar did not have the requisite no-objection certificate (NOC) from the fire department, owner Nitin Chawla said, “We have all the permissions from the authorities concerned.”

Hundreds of people were present at the bar when the incident took place around 1.25am.

A major tragedy was averted as alert guests poured water on Sandeep and doused the flames within seconds.

“Fortunately the oil from his mouth did not spill on to his clothes and prevented the fire to spread further,” said Ajay Kumar, an eyewitness.

“We have issued a notice to the mall and pub managements to address this issue. We will not compromise on the safety norms as it poses a threat to human lives and property,” said Hanuman Sihag, chief fire officer, Gurgaon.

MGF Metropolitan Mall vice-president Brigadier PS Puri confirmed that the mall has got a notice from the fire department and the pub has been shut till it gets a clearance from the fire department.