Batcha doc wants to contest polls | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Batcha doc wants to contest polls

india Updated: Mar 22, 2011 02:02 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

In a new twist to the case of Sadhick Batcha's sudden death, the doctor who conducted his autopsy, Dr V Dekal, on Monday announced his resignation from the government service.

Batcha, a close aide of former union telecom minister, had allegedly committed suicide on Wednesday at his residence as he was unable to cope the pressure of 2G scam investigations and that he was deeply embarrassed by the investigations as also the media pressure. He had mentioned these reasons in a suicide note in Tamil that was found by police from his bedroom on Wednesday evening.

Dr Dekal, a forensic surgeon at the Government Hospital, Royapettah, told press persons on Monday, that his resignation had nothing to do with the Batcha's death and that he had made up his mind to contest elections and had put in his papers on March 3 itself. But since he was not relieved, he was continuing in his duty.

By no means his resignation meant that his association with the Batchaa death through post-mortem is over, Dr Dekal said as any doctor who conducts autopsy is responsible till the case is over. He told press persons that he would attend the court, whenever required. "Till my death, I am responsible and will do my duty," he said and added "today and tomorrow I am leave."

Dr Dekal had conducted the autopsy on Batcha's body on Thursday, a day after he was found hanging inside his bedroom of his house at Teynampet in central Chennai, and said the preliminary findings showed that he died due to asphyxia. But at that time, Dr Dekal said that further tests were required and sent the skin tissues and internal organs were sent for examination. He was hopeful of a final report coming out in a fortnight.

Dr Dekal said that he might contest as an independent in the assembly elections and because of this he had put in his papers on March 3. "If the relieving order comes, I might contest the elections as an independent candidate," he said.

After conducting the post mortem a day after Batcha's death, Dr Dekal had said preliminary findings indicated that the death was due to asphyxia, but had said further confirmation could be done only after the laboratory test findings came.

According to sources, Dr Dekal was being denied vedio recording of the post mortem hinting that this could be one of the reasons for making his resignation public.

Batcha was found hanging at his bedroom in his house at Teynampet on Wednesday afternoon by his wife, who rushed him first to Appolo hospital where he was declared brought dead on arrival. From here the body was taken to Government Hospital At Royapettah and the post mortem could be conducted on the following day as, Dr Dekal was on leave and was brought to do the autopsy the next day.