Former BCCI President Jagmohan Dalmiya, who was responsible for marketing the game to new heights, was on Saturday expelled from the Board and removed from all posts on charges of financial irregularities during his tenure at the helm of BCCI.
The Special General Body of the Board, which met here and heard him on the charges levelled against him, adopted a resolution that expelled him from the Board and barred him from holding any position in any organs of the cricket body, including state associations.
The resolution was adopted 29-2 against him. The Cricket Association of Bengal, of which he is the President, and the National Cricket Club, Kolkata, of which also he is the head voted in his support. Interestingly, Ranbir Singh Mahendra, once his loyalist, voted against him.
The 66-year-old Dalmiya, a former president of the International Cricket Council, has been given the right to appeal after three years for inclusion in the Board, BCCI Media Committee member Rajiv Shukla said after the meeting.
However, Dalmiya, who has strongly denied the charges, said after the expulsion that he had submitted a 46-page report which the disciplinary committee did not even read.
"They did not even read it. They are all biased. There is no misappropriation. It is only their misinterpretation," he said. The meeting was presided over by BCCI President and Union Minister Sharad Pawar, with whom he has been having a running battle for over two years now.
Dalmiya's nominee Mahendra had defeated Pawar in the election to BCCI President's post a couple of years ago but the Union Minister had his last laugh when he defeated in the election last year.
Dalmiya was accused of producing forged documents and misappropriation of funds to the tune of crores of rupees from the PILCOM accounts, formed for the World Cup 1996 co-hosted by the India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
BCCI Vice-President Shashank Manohar said Dalmiya was given a fair chance to put up his defence. "We gave him a fair chance. He was heard by a full house. But whatever he said carried no weight," he said.
"There was a 42-page report against him. We cannot go into minute details. But there were serious charges against him," he added.
Asked about CAB's stand that it would not remove Dalmiya, Manohar said in that case "we will take action against the state body".
Shukla said he gave some explanation on the charges levelled against him, which were countered by Treasurer N Srinivasan, who moved the resolution against Dalmiya.
"This case has been going on for a year. He has been asked to produce account books and even today he did not submit them," he said.
Asked whether any action was being planned against Dalmiya for the alleged financial misconduct, shukla said already Mumbai police were investigating the case.