Beating by colleagues may have caused death: Police | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Beating by colleagues may have caused death: Police

india Updated: Oct 24, 2012 00:18 IST
HT Correspondent

A day after a 55-year-old district secretary of BSNL Employees’ Union died under mysterious circumstances, Ghaziabad police on Tuesday confirmed that he was indeed beaten up on Monday by several employees and guards.

The police said the beating could have led to his death as apart from many other injuries, he had sustained a grievous wound on his head. An alleged altercation with his senior BSNL officials had led to the beating.

Speaking to Hindustan Times, Ghaziabad superintendent of police (SP) SS Yadav said the victim, Sukendra Singh, had allegedly manhandled BSNL’s general manager Adesh Kumar Gupta on Monday morning and had then run out of his third floor office.

“He was chased by some employees and security guards, who beat him up with sticks. The victim later sat on the second floor stairs, holding his head. He later tried to run downstairs but fell and sustained more injuries. According to the post-mortem report, he later went into coma,” the SP said.

Yadav also added, “Singh sustained a grievous injury on his head. The post-mortem report said there were other minor injuries too. We are looking into circumstantial evidence to ascertain whether the injury was due to sticks or the fall. Any arrests would be made only after proper investigation.”

Singh’s family members have already filed an FIR at Kavi Nagar police station under various sections of the IPC, including murder charges against five people, including the BSNL GM. A second FIR was lodged by Gupta against the victim for allegedly manhandling him inside his office. Singh used to work as a phone mechanic in the organisation.

The SP said Gupta was in his third floor office when Singh ran out and later fell unconscious on the first floor. Also, one other sub-divisional officer, named in the FIR, was on leave and at home at the time of the incident.

Gupta also said that Singh had recently been chargesheeted following an inquiry for manhandling a senior official a couple of months ago and had been angry over the issue.