Bengal Maoists' u-turn, say ready for ceasefire | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 30, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Bengal Maoists' u-turn, say ready for ceasefire

With the West Bengal government set to intensify anti-Maoist operations in junglemahal, an interlocutor today claimed that the ultras had taken a u-turn and were ready for a four-month ceasefire on condition that joint operations were suspended for an identical period.

india Updated: Nov 15, 2011 19:13 IST

With the West Bengal government set to intensify anti-Maoist operations in junglemahal, an interlocutor on Tuesday claimed that the ultras had taken a u-turn and were ready for a four-month ceasefire on condition that joint operations were suspended for an identical period.

Government-appointed interlocutor Sujato Bhadra said he received a letter dated November 6 on Monday night from the Maoists offering a four-month truce if the joint force operations were suspended for the same period.

Maoist state secretary Akash in a statement earlier had withdrawn the unilateral offer of a ceasefire for a month.

The Maoists, Bhadra said, also demanded that the state government allow four banned organisations to take out rallies and processions.

To a question, Bhadra said that the Maoists expressed willingness to sit with the interlocutors.

Chief minister Mamata Banerjee had said on Monday that after two Trinamool Congressmen were shot dead, operations by the joint forces would be resumed as the Maoists had continued with killings though they had been given five months time.