Director Bhagyaraj returns to the big screen after a long gap with Parijatham.
Nobody was quite sure whether he understood the pulse of today's audience, but the slow success of the movie, also a launch vehicle of his daughter Saranya, shows he is still a director to reckon with.
The top five Tamil films are:
1. Parijatham - Director: Bhagyaraj. This film starring Prithviraj and Saranya has a light, humorous and fun-filled first half and the audience seems to enjoy every moment of it. The only irritant is the entry of Bhagyaraj in the second half.
2. Thalainagaram - Director: Suraj. Thalainagaram was a mediocre film and no distributor was willing to touch it in the beginning, but something about it has struck a chord with the audiences. Now the film is listed as a hit.
3. Pudupettai - Director: Selvaraghavan. Selvaraghavan's latest film continues to run in the theatres but it is not a patch on his earlier films.
4. Naalai - Director: Udhayabanu Mageswaran. Though the film is another underworld drama after Pattiyal and Pudupettai and took a long time in the making, it is doing quite well mainly because of the excellent craftsmanship.
5. Jerry - Director: SB Kanthan: Till Imsai Arasan 23 am Pulikesan comes out, the audience can laugh watching Crazy Mohan's crass comedy.