Bhopal Mayor for change in recruitment rules | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 25, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Bhopal Mayor for change in recruitment rules

THE ONGOING wrangle over deputation staffers in civic bodies has witnessed a fresh turn with Bhopal Mayor Sunil Sood urging the government to amend the Seva Bharti Niyam (service recruitment rules) to increase the number of posts held by outside officials.

india Updated: Dec 29, 2006 16:33 IST

THE ONGOING wrangle over deputation staffers in civic bodies has witnessed a fresh turn with Bhopal Mayor Sunil Sood urging the government to amend the Seva Bharti Niyam (service recruitment rules) to increase the number of posts held by outside officials.

Sood, in a recent letter to Urban Administration Minister Jayant Malaya, is reported to have urged that 50 per cent of the total number of assistant engineers posted be filled by officials posted on deputation. As per present rules 75 per cent posts of assistant engineers are filled through direct recruitment with the remaining 25 per cent filled through promotion.

He is also to said to have called for staffing 5 per cent of post of lower division clerk (LDC) and 10 per cent of the total number of stenographers with deputation employees. Both posts are to be filled 100 per cent through direct recruitment as per current rules.

Manish Singh, Municipal Commissioner, Bhopal, who is currently in Indore, is learnt to have broached the matter with Additional Municipal Commissioner (General Administration Department) Kumar Purshottam during a meeting on Thursday.

The move which has worrying ramifications for the other 13 municipal Corporations of the State has sparked off a chorus of protests from union bosses.

The MP Nagar Palika Nagar Nigam Karmachari Sangh, which moved court demanding the return of deputation employees and officials to their parent departments, has threatened to launch an agitation over the matter.

They further announced that union members of the 14 municipal corporations would burn an effigy of Mayor Sunil Sood at a protest to be staged at Sadar Manzil shortly to register their protest.

Attempts to contact Additional Municipal Commissioner Kumar Purshottam on the matter proved fruitless. Sood, however, confirmed the reports but claimed that he had only “urged the government for a cadre revision which is long overdue”.