Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said in Guwahati on Saturday that the second wave of floods in Assam was one of the worst in the state. The second wave hit the state on July 12, affecting 26 districts.
Gogoi said that in these 26 districts; rivers breached embankments at 53 places and over eight-lakh hectares of land were inundated in surging water. Over 23 human lives were lost, he said. The CM announced that an enquiry committee would be constituted to find out the reasons behind the breach of newly constructed embankments. Some of recently breached embankments were constructed last year.
A Central team would visit the state to assess the flood situation, Gogoi said. The situation in Assam has been improving since last week. On Saturday, the water level of Brahmaputra maintained its falling trend from last Thursday. But some districts are still reeling under the impact of flash floods. “Relief work is in full swing,” Gogoi said.
The lower Assam districts of Barpeta, Baksa and Kokrajhar experienced flash flood last week. The situation in Barpeta and Baksa are still critical.
The state administration suspects these downstream districts were affected by the water released from the Kurishu dam in Bhutan. A similar situation had occurred in 2004. Gogoi said the government had requested the Centre to take up the water issue with Bhutan. Assam wants notification from Bhutan before the water is released, he said.
Flash floods have also occurred in Laximpur and Dhemaji districts; the situation in both districts is still critical.
Release of water from the Ranganadi hydropower project of the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation in Arunachal hills is suspected to have caused the floods.