Bihar school lynching: Mob pelts stones, SHO suspended

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Patna
  • Updated: Jun 29, 2015 16:20 IST

A day after the director of a school was beaten to death following the recovery of the bodies of two students at Nirpur village of Bihar's Nalanda district, a mob pelted stones on the vehicles of top officials visiting the area.

District magistrate B Kartikey, superintendent of police Siddharth Mohan Jain, additional district magistrate and deputy superintendent of police had gone to Hilsa on Monday morning to talk to the relatives of the school's director Devendra Prasad, whose body was brought to his home.

"We were talking to Prasad's relatives and trying to lift the blockade created by people on the road and railway tracks when some miscreants started pelting stones at our vehicles. While the cars were badly damaged, no one was injured," said Jain.

The mob had blocked the main road by placing the director's body and stopped the movement of trains to protest his killing. The villagers were demanding action against those who had beaten him to death.

Sources said police had to resort to lathicharge to clear the blockade.

Meanwhile, the post-mortem report of the two students indicated the cause of death as 'asphyxiation', said Jain.

"While the asphyxiation possibly seems to be due to drowning, we are looking at the matter from all possible angles," said the SP.

He added that footage taken by media channels would be used to identify those who beat the director to death on Sunday and pelted stones on the vehicles on Monday.

The SHO of Nalanda police station was suspended 24 hours after Sunday's incident for his failure to control the situation, which resulted in the death of Prasad.

Residents of Nirpur, adjacent to district headquarters Bihar Sharif in Nalanda, went on a rampage shortly after the bodies of two boys were found from a ditch near the school. Prasad was mercilessly beaten up with sticks by a mob which held him responsible for the deaths.

Prasad died while he was being treated at the Patna Medical College Hospital where he was taken in a critical condition.

Read: Bihar school director lynched after death of two students

also read

Sidhu is AAP and Congress’s common dilemma
Show comments