Bitta seeks 1993 security withdrawal info under RTI Act
The former Punjab minister seek to know the assessment report of the security review committee in his case.india Updated: Nov 09, 2006 15:04 IST
Former Youth Congress leader MS Bitta has written a letter to the Centre, asking for information under the RTI Act as to why his security was withdrawn in 1993, two days before a bomb attack on him in New Delhi.
The former Punjab minister, who also heads the All India Anti-Terrorist Front, sought to know from the Home Ministry the assessment report of the security review committee in his case in September 1993.
Nine people were killed and several others injured in a bomb attack aimed at Bitta at Delhi's Raisina Road in September 1993.
"I feel there was some serious conspiracy behind the sudden issuance of the order of the security withdrawal by the Ministry of Home Affairs in my case. ... I feel that there had been deliberate attempts to expose me to the terrorists to enable them to make (me) an easy target," he said in his letter to the VIP security director in the ministry.
In the letter, he sought to know from the Centre whether the decision to withdraw his security was prompted by some "political pressure" as he recalled he had faced a deadly attack in May 1992 in Amritsar.
"With the new law framed in regard to the RTI 2005, I now have the right to know the real truth that has been eluding me all these years," he said.
Also, he sought information regarding action taken against agencies involved in security arrangements for former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi before his assassination.