BJP seeks cancellation of Salman's bail after Yakub Memon tweets

  • PTI, Mumbai
  • Updated: Jul 26, 2015 20:06 IST

After Bollywood superstar Salman Khan's tweets defending Yakub Memon drew severe flak from various quarters, including politicians and social media, the BJP has demanded the cancellation of the actor's bail in a 2002 hit-and-run case.

Mumbai BJP president Ashish Shelar met Maharashtra governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao on Sunday and submitted a letter requesting the cancellation of bail granted to Salman by the Bombay high court.

"I submitted a letter to the Governor requesting cancellation of bail of convicted Salman Khan for supporting a convict," said Shelar.

"Very disappointing to see Salman Khan ask for release of Yakub Memon. His (Salman's) bail should be cancelled on the basis of the support for crime," he said in a tweet.

"Yakub Memon worked on the mission of mass murder. His sympathy can only come from fellow convict who fails to appreciate mercy shown to him," Shelar added.

Salman, who was sentenced to five years in jail by the sessions court earlier this year in a hit-and-run case in which one person died, was later granted bail by the Bombay high court.

The 49-year-old actor said that an "innocent" is being hung for the crimes of his brother and the prime suspect in the 1993 bombings - Tiger Memon.

Read More:

Salman Khan retracts tweets on Yakub Memon, apologises

Hang Tiger Memon, not his brother Yakub: Salman Khan on Twitter

also read

Expelled diplomat Akhtar tried to exploit people with kin in Pakistan
Show comments