Blast suspect sent to judicial custody | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 22, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Blast suspect sent to judicial custody

A Bangladeshi national suspected to be one of the bomb planters in last month's twin bombings in Hyderabad has been remanded to judicial custody.

india Updated: Sep 21, 2007 19:24 IST

A Bangladeshi national suspected to be one of the bomb planters in last month's twin bombings in Hyderabad and arrested a few days ago in Bangalore was on Friday remanded in judicial custody for two weeks by a city court.

Rizwan Gazi, 22, who was arrested by a team of Hyderabad police in Bangalore a few days ago, was produced before a magistrate at Nampally court and sent to judicial custody till Oct 5. The youth was later shifted to Cherlapally jail.

Gazi told newspersons outside the court that he had nothing to do with the blasts but admitted that he was staying without a valid passport. He said he was a student of second year Computer Science Engineering (CSE) at a city college.

The police say that the Bangladeshi is believed to be the bomb planter at Lumbini Park. Gazi said he had no knowledge of the people behind the blasts. He also revealed that he has many relatives in the city.

Gazi was absconding since the arrest of his sister Shareefa Rafsanjani in Hyderabad on Sep 2. Police were tight-lipped as to how and when he was arrested in Bangalore.

Immediately after Rafsanjani's arrest, there were reports of Gazi giving the slip to a team of Hyderabad Police. He was reportedly picked up from Bangalore on Sep 6.

During investigations, police reportedly did not find any evidence of his involvement in the blasts. He turned out to be an illegal immigrant and was booked under the Foreigner's Act and Passport Act for illegally staying in the country and obtaining a driving licence by submitting forged documents.

The blasts at Lumbini park and a popular eatery on Aug 25 killed 44 people and injured 54 others.

Police suspect the Bangladesh-based Harkat-ul-Jihad-e-Islami (HUJI) to be involved in the blasts. About 50 suspects have been picked up by the police and about half of them were sent to judicial custody.

However, police are yet to make a breakthrough in the case.