Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend the three-day conference of state police chiefs at desert village Dhordo -- a tent city where tourists go for annual festival at Rann of Kutch in Gujarat.
The agenda at the 50th All India Director Generals and Inspector Generals Conference includes: internal security, coastal security, deradicalisation of youth amid the Islamic State threat, misuse of social media and crimes against women.
Also in the agenda are yoga sessions with the PM. Here are the highlights:
1) This is for the first time the Prime Minister will be attending the conference on all three days, breaking away from the norm of only a day’s presence.
2)This is only the second time the conference is being held outside Delhi. In 2014, Guwahati became the first venue outside the national capital.
3) No alcohol will be served, adhering to the prohibition law in Gujarat. And following a Gujarati tradition, it will be an all-vegetarian fare.
4) Media coverage has been barred.
5) For the first time ever, there will be yoga sessions with the PM. He will lead around 150 top cops from all the security agencies, home minister Rajnath Singh and national security adviser Ajit Doval in 45-minute yoga sessions on December 19th and 20th mornings.
6) Five yoga instructors have been roped in.
7) Given the high security threat Modi faces , and the proximity of the venue with India- Pakistan land and coastal borders, a bullet-proof tent has been erected for his stay. The surrounding area has been declared a no-flying zone
8) Blue blazer is the dress code for male officers. Saree is compulsory for women officers.
9) This for the first time the officers’ families have also been invited to the venue
10) One of the tents has been turned into a makeshift PMO. A three-layer security cover involving NSG commandos, CRPF and local police has been put in place. Some 54 villages surrounding the venue have been totally sealed. Except for residents, all movements have been restricted till Sunday. Even residents are not allowed to have guests during this period.