Blue wave sinks City | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 22, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Blue wave sinks City

india Updated: Mar 22, 2011 00:51 IST
Highlight Story

Chelsea climbed above Manchester City into third place in the Premier League after David Luiz’s late goal inspired a 2-0 win on Sunday.

Luiz sunk City with 12 minutes to play and Ramires added a second goal in stoppage time as Carlo Ancelotti’s side moved one point ahead of Roberto Mancini’s men. The Blues are also nine points behind leaders Manchester United with a game in hand.

In Sunday’s other game, Dirk Kuyt scored a controversial penalty as Liverpool bounced back from their Europa League exit with a 2-0 win at 10-man Sunderland.

Chelsea’s clash with City was a meeting between the two most expensively assembled squads in Premier League history, with over £500 million ($812 million) lavished on star players by both clubs’ billionaire owners.

City suffered a blow before kick off when Carlos Tevez failed a late fitness test on a groin injury, but they had the best moment of the first half when Yaya Toure’s low drive forced Petr Cech into a sprawling save.

There was an injury scare for reappointed England captain John Terry as the Blues defender needed treatment on a knee problem, but he was able to continue.

Fernando Torres is now without a goal in seven matches after the former Liverpool striker was hauled off in the 70th minute.

The change paid dividends as Torres’s replacement Didier Drogba curled over a free-kick that Brazilian defender Luiz glanced past Joe Hart before his compatriot Ramires scored with a fine solo effort in the 90th minute.

Liverpool were beaten at Sunderland in dubious circumstances last season when Darren Bent scored with a goal that deflected in off a beachball that had been thrown onto the pitch by a fan.

But Kenny Dalglish’s side enjoyed their own moment of good fortune as Kuyt netted a first-half penalty awarded for a tackle by John Mensah that took place outside the area.

Replays showed Mensah made contact with Jay Spearing before the midfielder fell in the area and referee Kevin Friend initially gave a free-kick, only to change his decision to a penalty. Luis Suarez scored Liverpool’s second goal in the 77th minute.

Mensah was later sent-off.