It was the calm after the storm. Kokrajhar town wore a deserted look on Sunday afternoon, after the army held a flag march. The only vehicles on its streets belonged to the army and the administration.
The Assam government had been forced to deploy the army after nearly a week of violence that claimed 56 lives and affected nearly four lakh people.
The presence of the army was welcomed by both Bodos and the Muslims. The clash between the two groups had begun on July 20 and spread to neighbouring Chirang and Dhubri districts.
"We want the army to stay till normalcy returns," said Rabiram Narzary, adviser of All Bodo Students Union.
"Had the government deployed the army on July 20, the situation would not have worsened," said Lafikul Islam Ahmed, of All Bodoland Muslim Students Union.
Home minister P Chidambaram will visit Kokrajhar and Dhubri on Monday.