Bomb scare on Malwa Express | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Bomb scare on Malwa Express

india Updated: Jul 02, 2006 14:52 IST

POLICE CARRIED out a thorough search in the Indore-Jammu Tawi Malwa Express on Saturday after a phone call claimed that a bomb had been planted in the train and would explode as it leaves the station. However, the call made turned out to be a hoax, police said.

After receiving the information, teams of district police, GRP and RPF rushed to the railway yard. However, no explosives were found after searching for two hours. A team of bomb disposal squad also reached the spot, albeit two hours late.

According to information, a girl called up police control room at 9.30 am and informed that there was a bomb in the train and it will explode as soon as the train starts. The caller was identified as Aparna Jain, who had called from a mobile (98279-31204).

When the police contacted her, Aparna defended herself by saying that someone else had informed her about the bomb. Later, she changed her statement and said that her mobile had been misplaced and maybe someone else made the call from her mobile. This is the second time in two weeks that police received a hoax call regarding a bomb in the train.

Last time it was Indore-Jaipur Express. At that time, both the police and passengers had to face a lot of hardship as the train was delayed at Indore station.

In this particular incident, police sources said that the SIM of the mobile was registered in a woman’s name in Bhilai, but that name was not ‘Aparna’ – the name used by the caller. The tower location of the call was from Indore. Police are trying to trace the woman for further action.

Talking to Hindustan Times, Railway PRO Nitin David aid that Malwa Express finally departed at 2.35 pm, 35 minutes behind schedule. Incidentally, the train has been upgraded to Superfast Express from today.

The bomb scare might have had senior officers in a scurry, but apparently it did not scare railway employees.

The train was in the railway yard, being washed and checked, and even after the message that a bomb had been planted came, the employees continued their work of cleaning the train, while others checked the springs of the coaches to see whether everything was fine.