Boy dies after taking medicine, parents blame Dharavi doctor | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 30, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Boy dies after taking medicine, parents blame Dharavi doctor

A Class 6 student of a BMC school died in Dharavi on Thursday morning after being administered an injection and tablets by a local doctor. Rachna Pratihar reports.

india Updated: Apr 04, 2009 01:24 IST
Rachna Pratihar

A Class 6 student of a BMC school died in Dharavi on Thursday morning after being administered an injection and tablets by a local doctor.

The victim’s family has alleged a case of medical negligence.

On Wednesday, Prathamesh Khandare (13), returned home after giving his mathematics exams and started complaining of fever. Around 8.30 pm, his mother Anita took him to Dr Sunita Pakhare’s Vaishnavi clinic in Dharavi.

The doctor has been running the clinic for 16 years. “Dr Pakhare examined him, gave him an injection and prescribed three doses of three tablets. After we returned home, Prathamesh started vomiting,” said an inconsolable Anita.

By late evening, Prathamesh’s condition deteriorated.

“When I got home from work, he was in a pathetic state. But we thought it was because of his illness. After giving him a dose of the three tablets prescribed by Pakhare, we put him to sleep,” said Prathamesh’s father, Sunil, who works as a ward boy in KEM hospital.

At 6 am, his parents realised that Prathamesh had developed rashes all over his body. Suspecting it to be some kind of infection, they rushed him to Sion hospital, where he died at 7.30 am.

“It was nothing but minor fever. My son died because of the injection and medicines given by Pakhare,” said a fuming Sunil. By Thursday afternoon, the residents from Janta Colony in Dharavi, where the Khandares live, marched to Vaishnavi clinic but it was locked. “Now the doctor is not in her clinic,” said Sunil.

The boy’s body was sent for post-mortem. Dr Rajesh Dere, who conducted the post-mortem, said: “There is evidence of rashes all over the body. I have sent the viscera and blood for chemical analysis. After the reports, the cause of death will be known,” he said.

The police have registered a case of accidental death. “After we get the final report, we will file a case against the doctor, once it is established that death was due to the infection caused by the injection,” said Rajendra Thakur, senior inspector of Dharavi police station.

Is Your Couch Making You Cough?
Promotional Feature