Boy faking kidnap killed, partners held | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Boy faking kidnap killed, partners held

india Updated: Oct 04, 2012 14:13 IST
Pramod Giri

A fifteen-year-old boy, believed to have planned his own abduction, has had to pay with his life. The sleuths have rounded up his two partners in crime, who are accused in his death.

Nayan Sharma (15), elder son of Nityanand Sharma and a resident of Shantinagar in the New Jalpaiguri police outpost area, left home on September 22 and did not return. A known delinquent, Nayan would often crib about his parents not caring for him as they much as they did for his younger sibling and say he was not liked at home.

With no word on his whereabouts, Nayan’s father lodged a missing diary at the New Jalpaiguri police outpost. His father, a small trader, moved a fresh police complaint on September 24, claiming that his son had been and abducted and the kidnappers have demanded a princely R5 lakh for his release. The father further claimed that the abductors had since been ringing him up repeatedly to negotiate the ransom payout.

On September 25, the sleuths fished out the body of a young boy from the Mahananda canal near Saudangi and Nayan’s parents were summoned to identify if the body was of their son.

However, the parents could recognise the corpse as that of their 15-year-old. Following the leads from call details, the sleuths later tracked down and arrested Suraj Yadav, a resident of Shantinagar and Bikash Roy of Jaleshwari. During interrogation, the arrested duo confessed to killing the 15-year-old out of panic. Suraj had been an employee at Nityanand’s shop. According to OG Pal, the deputy commissioner of police, the two arrested boys told police that it was Nayan who planned his abduction. They said they got wind of his father lodging a missing diary and asked him to go home. However, Nayan, who had been based at Suraj’s home then, asked the two to make ransom calls to his father.

Nayan, according to the arrested boys promised to pay them Rs. 50,000 and said he would shift base to Bihar with the remaining amount.

The boys said they panicked over fears that they could be arrested any time and killed Nayan.