Briatore free to make F1 return in 2013 | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Briatore free to make F1 return in 2013

india Updated: Apr 14, 2010 01:36 IST
Highlight Story

Flavio Briatore will be allowed to return to Formula One in 2013 after the sport's governing body today agreed to end a lifetime ban against the former Renault team principal.

The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said a settlement had been reached to end legal proceedings against the Italian. Briatore and former Renault head engineer, Pat Symonds, whose five-year ban was also cut, were barred in September for their involvement in “Crashgate” to rig the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix.

The FIA said each man had recognised “his share of responsibility for the deliberate crash” in Singapore, expressed regrets and apologised. “They have undertaken to abstain from having any operational role in Formula One until 31 December 2012, as well as in all the other competitions registered on the FIA calendars until the end of the 2011 sporting season,” it said.

“They have also abandoned all publicity and financial measures resulting from the judgment of 5 January 2010, as well as any further action against the FIA on the subject of this affair.”

FIA's World Motor Sport Council banned them after deciding both had played a part in ordering driver Nelson Piquet to crash to bring out the safety car and help his then-teammate, Fernando Alonso, win. FIA said this was in the best interests to end a dispute prejudicial to the image of the sport.