Bugti was killed by cluster bombs: Marri | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 22, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Bugti was killed by cluster bombs: Marri

Baloch leader Nawabzada Marri rejected the Govt's claims that Bugti had died because of the collapse of his cave hideout.

india Updated: Aug 30, 2006 16:59 IST

Nawabzada Hyrbair Marri, head of the militant Marri tribe, has alleged that cluster bombs were used to kill Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti and other tribesmen in last Saturday's military operation in the Kohlu Hills.

Rejecting the government's claims that Bugti had died because of the collapse of his cave hideout, Marri said that the armed forces had targeted him with gunship helicopters and jet fighters.

"The story of the cave's collapse is a propaganda ruse of the rulers to deceive the people," Marri was quoted by the Dawn, as saying.

Issuing an appeal to the world media to visit the site of Bugti's killing to expose the real truth behind the operation, Marri said that Nawab Bugti's death was planned and not an accident, as was being touted by Islamabad.

Marri was reacting to a statement issued by Major-General Shaukat Sultan, the Director-General Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), who said that Bugti had not been killed by the Pakistan Army, but in an accident.

Major-General Shaukat Sultan claimed that the terrain was very rugged and almost inaccessible.

He said a tribesman from the Bugti clan, who was guiding law-enforcement agencies, had earlier entered the cave and confirmed the presence of people inside, including Akbar Bugti.

After sometime the guide returned to the commanding officer of law-enforcement agencies, who then went inside the cave.

During this process, the cave collapsed all of sudden, leaving all inmates of the cave dead.

Sultan said the commanding officer had gone into the cave to negotiate with Akbar Bugti for his arrest as the government had intended to take him into custody.

Sultan said there was no confirmation about the presence of any of the kinsmen of Akbar Bugti.

Giving details of the incidents between August 24 and August 26, Sultan said that during the three days of engagement, seven personnel of law-enforcement agencies were martyred, including four officers one JCO and two other ranks.

Sultan said the bodies of the law enforcers were recovered on August 26 and August 27 as they had not covered much distance inside the cave and the rituals were carried out on August 28.

Marri, however, urged the Baloch people to unite in the face of aggression.