Bus crushes techie on pavement; kin alleges police shielding crew | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 24, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Bus crushes techie on pavement; kin alleges police shielding crew

india Updated: Apr 21, 2009 00:58 IST
HT Correspondent

A Noida family has alleged the police were shielding a bus crew which is responsible for the death of their kin.

Forty-two-year-old Anjana Prabhakar, an engineer with an MNC, was crushed to death by a bus on Friday night near her house. A whiteline bus crossed over to the pavement, on which the victim was walking, and hit her, in Sector 21, Noida.

Suresh Aggarwal, the victim’s brother, said, “The police are shielding the bus crew and have not arrested anyone till Monday evening. Police even claimed the bus number given by us was wrong.”

The victim lived at Jalvayu Vihar in block P-6 with her husband Sanjeev Prabhakar, a serving wing commander in the air force, and her 18-year-old son Gautam, a student of Air Force Bal Bharati School, Delhi. Her son just took his Class 12 exams and is preparing for engineering entrance exams.

Talking to Hindustan Times, Gautam said, “On Friday night around 9.15 p.m. I was returning home with my parents after having dinner at Spice Mall. As it is just 500 meters from our house, we walked the distance on the pavement. Suddenly a whiteline bus, without a headlight, ran over my mother's stomach right in front of me. I could not save her. We rushed her to Prakash Hospital where she died at 4.45 a.m. on Saturday.”

The victim's mother-in-law was inconsolable. She said, “They had told me that they will bring dinner for me. Instead I got the news of the accident. The police were very uncooperative. They appeared to be insensitive to our feelings. They do not understand the loss of a family member.”

Recalling the last minutes with his wife, Sanjeev Prabhakar said, “While we were taking her to the hospital she said ‘promise me you will make my son engineer one day. Tell him to study hard. I do not think I will survive’. She asked me to be courageous.”

SSP Naveen Arora said, “The bus number given by the victim’s family was that of a bus which was seized by the Sector 20 police station about six months ago and has been lying there since then.”