Business hit during violence, curfew | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Business hit during violence, curfew

india Updated: Feb 16, 2007 14:06 IST

THE HUSTLE and bustle returned to City markets on Thursday, but three days of curfew following commercial violence has led to loss of business worth crores of rupees in main shopping districts of Sarafa, Cloth Market and Siyaganj.

Although exact figures are not available, Siyaganj wholesale market lost business worth roughly Rs 200 crore while the loss of business at Sarafa was pegged at Rs 15 crore and Cloth Market lost out on business worth Rs 9 crore during this period.

Sarafa Sona Chandi Vyapari Sangh president Hukumchand Soni told Hindustan Times that although normalcy had returned to the market in terms of business hours it would take a few more days for footfalls to return to normal.

The Siyaganj Wholesale Kirana Merchants’ Association president Ramesh Khandelwal told Hindustan Times the markets were closed on Monday and Tuesday due to curfew while the association had called for a strike on Wednesday to protest high VAT on dry fruits. “I estimate a loss of business of Rs 60-65 crore on daily basis,” he said.

Curfew in parts of the City also affected the functioning of Anaj Mandis on Tuesday and Wednesday. There was a payment crisis in Sanyogitaganj Mandi due to cash shortage and farmers were given payment through cheques.

The City’s other main markets like Cloth Market, Bartan Bazaar and markets in the vicinity of Rajwada were also shut down for three days. Apart from traders, small and micro industry also suffered huge losses during this period although the impact on large industries was minimal. Banking transactions were also hit to a large extent.

Meanwhile, educational Institutions reopened after three days in the city on an incident free Thursday, even as heavy contigents of security force personnel patrolled the streets during the day.
Swords, petrol bombs recovered

Police on Wednesday night arrested seven persons for keeping arms and indulging in rumour mongering in Gafur Khan Ki Bajaria area under Aerodrome police station. The surprise searches followed a call around 10 pm that stones were thrown from a masjid in the area.

A police team, which reached the spot found the call to be a hoax. Then some mischief mongers alleged that arms were hidden in the mosque, which also was found to be untrue. Later, a search of the houses of those who were making the complaints was conducted and arms (mainly swords) and petrol bombs were recovered.