Call center employee crushed to death | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 22, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Call center employee crushed to death

india Updated: Feb 20, 2007 01:04 IST
Highlight Story

A 22-Year-old call centre employee was crushed to death and a few shops were damaged after a speeding dumper rammed into them on the Andheri-Kurla road near Safed Pool in Saki Naka on early Monday morning.

Lavina Fernandes (22) was killed on the spot while another person, Rakesh Brijlal (23), was severely injured and was rushed to the nearby Paramount Hospital. Brijlal, a resident of Koinabai Chawl, where the shops were damaged, suffered severe head injuries. Brijlal, who was into fashion designing, also owns a pan shop nearby.

According to the police, Lavina, who worked for the Wipro BPO at Hiranandani Gardens, Powai, was walking her pet, when the accident occurred around 6 am.

“Normally her shift gets over by 5.30 am and she reaches home by 6 am. On Monday she came home at 3.00 am due to a severe headache,” said Samson Fernandes (40), a relative “She was unable to sleep and decided to go for a so a morning walk. She even offered to get milk from the nearby dairy”, said Samson, adding that had she not gone to get milk, she would have escaped the fatal accident, adding that Lavina was a third-year commerce student.

The police added that the driver of the dumper, Abdul Aziz Indrisa (22) had rammed into a taxi at Marol a few minutes before he rammed into the shops near Safed Pool.

“He had rammed into a taxi earlier, however he fled the spot. There were no casualties in that incident. When he reached Safed Pool, he tried to overtake a BEST bus and rammed into the shops to avoid another BEST bus coming from the opposite direction, said J. Khandagle, senior police inspector, Saki Naka police station.

The police nabbed Indrisa from 90 feet road after five hours of the incident. Indrisa, who has been booked on charges of rash and negligent driving, will be produced in court on Tuesday.

The three shops — a mobile repair shop, a general store and an electric repair shop — were severely damaged. “I will have to bear a loss of more than Rs 50,000,” said Bharti Waghmare (37), the owner of the mobile shop and general store.

Email: htmetro