Car plunges into canal, youth killed, another feared drowned | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Car plunges into canal, youth killed, another feared drowned

india Updated: Oct 05, 2014 14:37 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

Birthday celebrations ended in tragedy as a car with five friends onboard plunged into the Sidhwan Canal near South City on late Friday night.

While the body of Jatin Jindal, 23, of Dhuri, Sangrur, has been fished out, his friend, Harsh Jain, 24, also from Dhuri, is feared drowned. Their friends, Maninder Singh, Lokesh and Rohit Jindal, swam to safety. The police with the help of divers have been putting in efforts to trace Jain.

The victims, all aged in earlier 20s, were returning after attending a friend’s birthday party at Sarabha Nagar. While Jindal is an architect, Jain runs a book shop. Both were living in rented accommodations in the city.

According to police, the five friends held a get together in a house at Sarabha Nagar on Friday to celebrate the birthday of their friend, Parag Kalia, who had returned from New Zealand a few days ago.

After the party, five of the group decided to return in a Ford Figo, while Kalia drove away in another car.

Police said it was around 1.15am when the car rammed into the railings and plunged into the Sidhwan Canal near South City.
Preliminary investigation revealed that Jindal got trapped in the car’s airbag that was deployed after the crash, and was unable to swim to safety that led to his drowning. On the other hand, Jain fell out of the car and was swept away by the water current.

The other three, adept at swimming, freed themselves from the car, and swam ashore, following which they sounded the police, who rushed to the spot and initiated rescue operation.

However, they were only able to fish out the body of Jindal in the wee hours of Saturday, while Jain remained untraceable. They later pulled out the Ford Figo on early Saturday morning.

Families of the victims were informed and Jindal’s body was sent for post-mortem examination to civil hospital. It was later handed over to the family.

Sources in the police said the victims could have been in an inebriated condition that led to the mishap. However, police would talk to the survivors for exact details.