CBI closes 2 cases against Rathore
The Central Bureau of Investigation today filed closure reports in two cases registered on January 11 against former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore who is serving a two year sentence in the Ruchika molestation case. HT reports.india Updated: Nov 11, 2010 01:10 IST
It was a relief for jailed former director general of police SPS Rathore because the CBI found no substance in the post-conviction charges brought against him by Ruchika Girhotra's family.
The agency said this in its two closure reports submitted before a CBI court on Wednesday. The cases were registered on January 11 against Rathore, who is serving a two-year sentence in the Ruchika molestation case, and some other policemen.
Rathore molested Ruchika in August 1990. Ruchika committed suicide in December 1993. The post-conviction cases were based on the complaints of Ruchika's father, SC Girhotra, and her brother, Ashu.
They alleged Ashu was falsely implicated at the behest of Rathore in car-jacking, and there were attempts to kill him. The second allegation was about tampering the post-mortem and inquest (judicial investigation) reports of Ruchika.
The Girhotras' case was weakened by discrepancies in their versions. Ruchika's father had said in his police complaint that one Veena was shown as his wife by the police in Ruchika's inquest report whereas his wife had died in 1988. However, in his 2005 court statement Girhotra said he married Veena in November 1991 and that was his second marriage.
A Chandigarh court convicted Rathore for six months in December last year. Following a public outcry against the supposedly short duration of the jail term, the period of imprisonment was increased to two years on an appeal filed by the CBI.
The fresh two cases were registered against sub-inspector Prem Dutt and two assistant sub-inspectors Sewa Singh and Jai Narayan of the Haryana police, apart from Rathore.