CBI not to quantify loss
The CBI chargesheet in 2G Spectrum scam is not likely to quantify the total estimated loss to the national exchequer by alleged irregularities in the allocation of spectrum and telecom licences to nine operators in 2007-08.india Updated: Mar 25, 2011 01:36 IST
The CBI chargesheet in 2G Spectrum scam is not likely to quantify the total estimated loss to the national exchequer by alleged irregularities in the allocation of spectrum and telecom licences to nine operators in 2007-08.
The chargesheet will "only focus on the criminal conspiracy angle that led to the scam and not quantify the resultant total loss to the national exchequer," said a CBI source.
He added, “Other agencies like the department of telecommunications and Telecom Regulatory Authority of India are there to calculate the total loss.” According to the source, the actual loss could be more than R66,000 crore.
The CBI's FIR had described the loss to be "on pro-rata basis, for all 122 circles, at more than R22,000 crore". The Comptroller and Auditor General's report had earlier pegged the loss at around R1.76 lakh crore.
“The estimated loss to the national exchequer by grant of licences to two of the alleged beneficiaries — Swan Telecom and Unitech — alone was around R7, 105 crore,” he said.
The CBI is set to file its first chargesheet in the 2G scam before March 31, naming former telecom minister A Raja, Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa, former telecom secretary Siddharth Behuria, Raja’s former private secretary RK Chandolia, and Kalaignar TV MD Sharad Kumar. The source added that the CBI chargesheet is unlikely to mention Rajya Sabha MP K Kanimozhi, though her name will be included in the supplementary chargesheet.