CBI registers preliminary inquiry over Harish Rawat ‘sting’ video

  • Agencies, New Delhi
  • Updated: Apr 30, 2016 12:23 IST
Deposed Uttarakhand chief minister Harish Rawat (PTI)

The Central Bureau of Investigation registered a preliminary enquiry on Friday into a ‘sting operation’ allegedly involving deposed Uttarakhand chief minister Harish Rawat.

Uttarakhand’s rebel Congress MLAs had last month released a video purportedly showing Rawat offering them bribes for support during a floor test in the assembly. Rawat had called the video fake.

He said that an “unholy alliance” led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP chief Amit Shah was behind the ‘sting’ that showed him allegedly agreeing to a multi-crore deal for buying back the rebel MLAs.

The central government had imposed President’s Rule on Uttarakhand last month after receiving a report from the governor in which he had referred to some reports, alleging the Congress was involved in horse-trading to save its government.

Before that, assembly Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal disqualified the nine rebel Congress MLAs from the House when they expressed displeasure over the functioning of Rawat as the chief minister.

The state will remain under President’s Rule till further orders by the Supreme Court. The apex court said the hearing would resume from May 3 on the central government’s plea challenging the Uttarakhand high court order that had revoked President’s Rule in the hill state.

also read

Dalit teen thrashing: Police order arrest of KV principal, students protest
Show comments