CBI searches DoT offices; Raja says will not resign
The CBI searched offices of the Department of Telecom in connection with alleged irregularities in allocation of 2G spectrum to some of the new players.india Updated: Oct 23, 2009 02:14 IST
The CBI on Thursday searched some offices in Telecom Ministry to probe allegations of a multi-crore spectrum scam, but Minister A Raja ruled out resignation saying he had followed procedures and taken decisions in consultation with the Prime Minister.
Hours after CBI officials visited Sanchar Bhawan to probe allegations of "serious irregularities" in awarding licences in the wake of charges of huge revenue losses, Raja told reporters late tonight that the "question of my resignation does not arise.
"All decisions on spectrum licensing have been taken in accordance with procedures laid down by TRAI and in consultations with the Prime Minister," he said.
CBI on Thursday said it has registered a case against unknown officials of Department of Telecom and unknown private persons and companies under the charge of criminal conspiracy and corruption under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Ever since the licences were issued last year, there has been widespread criticism that there could have been a loss of thousands of crores to the exchequer on account of irregularities.