A MCOCA court on Saturday informed the nine accused in the Malegaon serial blasts case that the investigations into the matter would be taken over by the CBI.
The CBI informed the court in a letter that it would take over the investigation of the case and said it was in the process of obtaining all details of the probe conducted so far by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) of Maharashtra Police, special public prosecutor Raja Thakrey.
The CBI has filed its own FIR in the case and, after receiving details from the ATS, will decide whether to file a supplementary chargesheet and whether further investigations were required, he said.
Nine persons, allegedly members of the banned Students Islamic Movement of India, have been arrested for carrying out four blasts in the textile town of Malegaon on September eight, 2006, that killed 31 people and injured 312.
Special Judge Mrudula Bhatkar also extended the judicial custody of the nine accused till March 3.