CEC declines to comment on Jayalalithaa's charge | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 21, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

CEC declines to comment on Jayalalithaa's charge

Jayalalithaa made the charge in the state assembly on Monday while participating in the debate on budget.

india Updated: Aug 01, 2006 17:27 IST

Chief Election Commissioner N Goapalswami on Tuesday declined to comment on AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa's charge that DPA had won the May 2006 Assembly polls in Tamil Nadu only because 'disgruntled' government employees cast 30 to 40 'additional votes' in every polling booth in its favour.

"This is all speculation. I don't want to say anything. We will take action if there are specific complaints," he told reporters at the Raj Bhavan where he held a review meeting with election officials on prepration of draft voters list.

Jayalalithaa made the charge in the state assembly on Monday while participating in the debate on budget.

On the progress of work on delimitation of constituencies in the state, he said it was still at a preliminary stage as far as the state was concerned, but hastened to add that "only the Chairman of Delimitation Commission can talk about the subject".

On the office of profit issue, he said so far the EC had received complaints against 50 MPs and 250 MLAs.

On the review meeting, he said it was being held to discuss the progress in the preparation of draft voters list. He said 74 per cent of the voters in the state had been issued electors photo identity cards (EPICs).

The percentage of issuance of EPIC was lowest in New Delhi, and it was cent per cent in Kerala, Goa and the Union Territory of Pondicherry, he said adding that EC hoped that EPICs would be given to all voters in all states by 2009.

Earlier, taking to reporters at the Chennai airport, Gopalaswami said the Commission would finalise the date for the bypoll to the Madurai central assembly constituency after the revised voters lits was published on August 31.

A draft voters list for the constituency would be released on August 11 and after necessary changes the final list would be released on August 31, he said.

The Madurai central constituency has fallen vacant following the death of senior DMK leader PTR Palanivel Rajan.