The central government on Monday said it was still verifying reports that a key suspect in the Hyderabad bombings had been detained in Bangladesh. No official word was forthcoming from Dhaka, and the Hyderabad Police refused to confirm or deny the reports on record.
Quoting unnamed sources, several media organisations had reported on Monday that a blasts suspect called Mohammed Sharifuddin alias Abu Hamza had been held in Dhaka. The man, apparently a top Harkat-ul-Jihadi Islami operative, was reported to have been involved in the Mecca Masjid blast as well.
Home Secretary Madhukar Gupta said he was working independent channels to verify the reports. “We are trying to find out more information,” he said.
Bangladesh had promised to take action against terrorists at the home secretary-level talks last month. There is, however, no guarantee yet that Hamza would be sent to face trial in India even if New Delhi is able to confirm his detention.
In Hyderabad, investigators continued to hope for a breakthrough in the case. Sources said Hamza had been detained soon after the August 25 bombings, though Indian intelligence got wind of it only on Sunday.