Union Home Ministry has issued an alert about a possible terror attack in Puducherry, which has a large number of French nationals and attracts foreign tourists, prompting deployment of commandos at vulnerable points as part of strengthening the security apparatus.
The alert, based on intelligence inputs received by the Union Home Ministry, was issued a few days ago, Puducherry Home Minister E Vlasaraj told reporters in Puducherry on Saturday.
Security arrangements, including deployment of trained commandos and patrolling at vulnerable areas, had been made after a high-level meeting held by him with top officials of the Police and Home Departments yesterday, he said.
Trained commandos had already been deployed and they would be given special uniforms soon. A toll-free helpline would be put in place to enable the public to inform the police about any unclaimed bags or suspicious objects, he said.
Till the number becomes operational, people can contact Senior Superintendent of Police (Law and Order) B Srikanth on his mobile number, he said and appealed to the people not to panic.
Hotel owners and employees in guest houses have been asked to keep a vigil on the visitors. Frequent interactions will be held with the police in the neighbouring Tamil Nadu districts to discuss security issues.
The alert to Puducherry, a former French colony, comes days after the blast in Pune which claimed 11 lives.