Concerned over the alleged assault of a Tanzanian woman, the Centre on Thursday sought a report from the Karnataka government and action taken against the perpetrators of the crime.
In a communication, the home ministry asked the state government to give a detailed report about the circumstances leading to the assault of the Tanzanian woman, action taken against those allegedly involved in it and steps taken for the protection of the victim.
The ministry also said the report should be sent as early as possible for taking necessary action by the central government as the incident had happened involving a foreign national.
The 21-year-old Tanzanian student was allegedly beaten up and stripped by a mob in a case of “mistaken identity” after a woman was mowed down by a car driven by a Sudanese national in Bengaluru late on Sunday.
She was reportedly dragged out of the car in which she was seated along with her three friends when she reached the accident spot mistaking them to have caused the fatal accident though a Sudanese was involved in it, police said.
As the incident took a serious diplomatic turn, chief minister Siddaramaiah said five men had been arrested and that the minister for external affairs Sushma Swaraj spoke to him. A report would be sent to her, he said.
“Case has been registered, five of them (accused) have been arrested. Sushma Swaraj also spoke to me, I will also be sending her a report through my chief secretary,” he told reporters.
The chief minister added that he has asked the police to conduct an inquiry on why complaint was not taken immediately.
“I have asked them to take action against officials if there is any fault on their part,” he said.
Swaraj had described it as a “shameful incident” and sought seeking stringent punishment for the guilty.
Voicing concern over the incident, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi also sought a report from the Karnataka government, according to party general secretary Digvijaya Singh, in charge of Congress affairs in the state.
State home Minister G Parameshwara told a press meet that more arrests would follow depending on the inquiry.
The minister, who named the victim, also denied that the Tanzanian woman was paraded naked saying, “No such thing happened”.
“This is definitely not a racial attack,” he added.