Change of guard means Maya’s park is off limits | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 15, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Change of guard means Maya’s park is off limits

The Noida authority spent Rs 675 crore on the Noida park in sector 93, but this dream project of former UP chief minister Mayawati, still remains closed for public. Darpan Singh reports.

india Updated: Apr 11, 2012 01:29 IST
Darpan Singh

The Noida authority spent Rs 675 crore on the Noida park in sector 93, but this dream project of former UP chief minister Mayawati, still remains closed for public.

Mayawati had inaugurated the park in October last year, but it could not be opened for general public as public utility facilities were yet to be put into place.

Authority officials said finishing touches had been given, but because of a change of guard in the state, the park would remain closed till further instructions from Lucknow.

Before the elections, the Samajwadi Party had alleged that thousands of crores of rupees had been spent on such projects, and the Bahujan Samaj Party government had purchased various articles used in construction at exaggerated rates. http://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2012/4/11_04_pg-02b.jpg

UP chief minister Akhilesh Yadav had then claimed that his government would not resort to political vendetta but “vacant spaces at the parks, where nobody goes, can be used for construction of hospitals and educational institutions”.

Now, the Noida Authority has admitted that the entire Rs 657 crore spent on Mayawati’s dream park was funded by the taxpayers’ money. “The authority is a self-sufficient body and it funded the entire project,” admitted Anil Rajkumar, acting chief executive officer of the authority.

The revelation has come after Yadav’s uncle and public works department minister Shivpal Yadav sought a report on the matter. The Noida authority has submitted a detailed reply to the state government on the expenditure incurred on the park named Rashtriya Dalit Prerna Sthal and Green Garden. “We have sent all the details.
Nirman Nigam did all the construction work, while the authority’s horticulture wing took care of the development of green areas,” said the acting CEO.

AK Bhatia, managing director, Nirman Nigam, refused to comment.

Construction work began in 2008, and a group of residents, who objected to the large number of trees being cut for the same, moved court in 2009. But in December 2010, the Supreme Court, which had stopped construction because of environmental concerns, cleared the project with certain riders.