The chargesheet in the November 26 Mumbai terror strikes, which claimed over 180 lives during the three-day long siege, is likely to be filed in 2-3 days with the Mumbai police giving final touches to it.
“Final touches are being given to the chargesheet and will be filed within two to three days before the magistrate,” special public prosecutor Ujwal Nikam said.
The chargesheet will be filed before a metropolitan magistrate, who will then transfer the case to the special court constituted inside the high security Arthur Road jail.
The special court, presided by judge ML Tahilyani, has been constituted to conduct the trial against Mohammad Amir Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist, he said.
Kasab will face charges ranging from murder, attempt to murder and theft to waging war against the country, official sources said.
Apart from the nine terrorists killed in the stand-off with security forces, the chargesheet may also name Yosuf Muzzamil and Zaki-ur-Rehman, both Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) members, who allegedly handled the operation from Pakistan.
Their names, if it figures, will be against column two of the chargesheet (those who could not be brought for trial) which will enable the police to seek a non-bailable warrant against them and subsequently an Interpol Red Corner Notice.
Kasab is presently lodged at the Arthur Road prison. "His confessional statement was recorded before the magistrate in the Esplanade court between Wednesday and Saturday last week,“ a crime branch official said.
Kasab was earlier also kept at the Arthur road prison for a few days in December last year, where around 40 witnesses were summoned to identify the terrorist.
The Mumbai police has decided to club all the 12 cases registered on the intervening night of November 26 and November 27.
Over 180 people were killed and around 300 injured in the attacks on November 26 by ten terrorists at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Hotels Taj and Trident and Nariman house in south Mumbai.