Some excitement was expected in the Malayalam film industry after dull business thanks to the month-long football World Cup. But it seems the audience will have to wait for the Onam season, which begins in late August, for new films. Till then they will have to make do with the old stuff.
The top five Malayalam films are:
1. Chess - Once in a while actor Dileep makes an effort to do something really different. This is one of those occasions. And the film deservedly holds the top position on this list.
2. Rasathantram - This film has completed 100 days - a rare feat these days. So it jumps to the second spot once more. Mohanlal and Meera Jasmine are all smiles.
3. Vadakkumnathan - Taking advantage of the prolonged dull period at the box office, this film holds on to its position. These are lucky days for Mohanlal it seems.
4. Prajapathi - Director Ranjith's bad phase continues. Hopes were high from this film starring Mammootty, but he could not deliver.
5. Aswaroodan - The less said about this film the better. Director Jayaraj tried to do the routine fare with Suresh Gopi with dismal results. The film is on the top five list just by default.