Chickpeas and Broccoli good sources of protein
Chickpea and Broccoli saladChickpeas add protein, manganese and folate to the dish.india Updated: Oct 31, 2010 00:05 IST
Chickpea and Broccoli salad
Chickpeas add protein, manganese and folate to the dish.
1. Add bay leaf to 1 heaped cup of dried chickpeas soaked for six hours or overnight and their soaking liquid and pressure cook till tender.
2. For the dressing, mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 small minced garlic clove, salt and pepper. Whisk in 6 tablespoons olive oil (or 4 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons yoghurt). Set aside.
3. Add 500 gm broccoli crowns, broken into florets to the beans in half a cup of water. Turn up the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, until the broccoli is tender but still bright. Drain the beans and broccoli and toss with the dressing. Add 1/2 small sliced red onion, 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, 2 ounces Parmesan, toss again, and serve warm.
Serves 4 as a main dish, 6 as a side.
Potato and broccoli soup
1. Heat 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a pot over medium heat and add one large chopped onion and optional (sliced) leeks. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and three chopped garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add 1 kg peeled and diced potatoes, bouquet garni (made with a bay leaf and 2 sprigs each parsley and thyme), 8 cups water, and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add 500 grams coarsely chopped broccoli crowns and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove the bouquet garni.
2. Blend the soup. Strain, if you want a silky texture. Return to the pot, adjust salt and add pepper, and heat through.
3. Top with 12 baguette slices with 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan and toast until the cheese melts. Serve topped with croutons.
Serves 6 to 8
Nutrition per serving: 276 calories; total fat 7.6g; cholesterol 4mg; sodium 1246mg; carbohydrates 45.4 g; fibre 6.9g; sugars 6.7g; protein 9.3g; vitamin A 20 % recommended daily allowance (RDA); vitamin C 171 % RDA; calcium 17 % RDA; iron 16 % RDA.