CID arrests prime accused in Ranaghat rape case

  • Bibhas Bhattacharyya, Hindustan Times, Kolkata
  • Updated: May 09, 2015 00:07 IST

CID sleuths registered major success 54 days after a rape-and-loot incident in Ranaghat by arresting kingpin Milan Sarkar and an accomplice on Thursday night, raising the total number of arrests in the case to five. The team also found the answer to why did the gang of Bangladeshi criminals strike a convent in Ranaghat.

Sarkar, a criminal from Bangladesh, told CID officers that they keep scouring different areas in Bengal to choose soft targets such as schools and churches as these don’t have much security and offer easy escape routes.

Sarkar and Ohidul Islam aka Babu were produced in Ranaghat court on Friday and were remanded to police custody for 14 days.

Sarkar was the prime accused who led the eight-member gang that stormed the convent in Ranaghat on March 14. They allegedly raped a 71-year-old nun and looted Rs 12 lakh from the convent.

Others arrested in the case so far are Shaikh Salim, Gopal Sarkar and Mintu Shiekh. However, Sarkar could not tell the interrogators who raped the 71-year old missionary.

“Sarkar claimed that he was not involved in the rape. But he said that either Naju or Tuhin might have committed this crime. In fact, Sarkar said Naju would be the prime suspect as he spent most of the time on the first floor where the rape took place,” a senior CID officer told HT requesting anonymity.

“After the incident took place, Sarkar stayed at somebody’s residence in Maslandpur in North 24 parganas and from there he left for Bangladesh,” said the officer. The officer said that Sarkar has relations with a few women in Bengal. He sends them money regularly. He also has a shelter in Delhi.

“During interrogation Sarkar admitted that when they tried to loot a cash office of power utility WBSEDCL in Kharagpur, they failed to break the vault,” said the officer.

also read

Yadav family feud: Shivpal hints at ‘grand alliance’ for UP polls
Show comments