Cigarette butt sparks fire, house gutted | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Cigarette butt sparks fire, house gutted

india Updated: Jan 05, 2012 01:32 IST
Divya Sethi
Divya Sethi
Hindustan Times
Divya Sethi

A major tragedy was averted on Wednesday after a fire broke out in a house on the eleventh floor in Ridgewood Estate in DLF City here.

The incident was reported around 5.30am and none of the six bachelors who had rented out the apartment in G-block were injured.

Quick response by the high-rise building’s maintenance wing saved the day and the blaze was brought under control even before fire tenders reached the spot.

Inmates of the house were asleep in their respective rooms when the fire broke out but the living area and some goods were completely gutted.

The society staff swung into action when they spotted smoke coming out of the flat.

They broke into the house with 15 fire-fighting systems and water and extinguished the fire.

Estate manager Anand Chaudhary said, “I have not received the detailed report yet. Initial investigation has revealed that the sofa caught fire due to a cigarette butt.”

Regarding allegations that the fire brigades arrived late, he said, “We cannot rely on fire brigades. If they get stuck in a traffic jam, we cannot sit and wait for them to arrive. Keeping all these things in mind, we keep our safety arrangements in place at all times.”

Chief fire officer HC Sihag said, “People in the house were sleeping and were not even aware about the fire. We sent our team the moment we got information. We checked and found out that somebody had left a cigarette butt on the sofa which caught fire.”