Civilian trek to Siachen put on hold
The fate of the first-ever civilian trek to Siachen hangs in a balance after the army decided to postpone it, reports Rahul Singh.india Updated: Sep 18, 2007 02:11 IST
The fate of the first-ever civilian trek to Siachen hangs in a balance after the army decided to postpone it. The army decision comes on the heels of Pakistan’s protests over promoting tourism on the Siachen glacier.
Trekkers were informed about the development on Monday night. The army has not given them fresh dates, triggering speculation and disappointment. The 20 civilian trekkers had been asked to assemble at Leh on September 19.
Explaining the rescheduling, an army source said the Siachen trek file was yet to be cleared by the defence ministry.
Management professor Charuhas Joshi, who had to cancel his flight at the last moment, said he was disappointed. Another trekker said: “Our tickets cannot be postponed indefinitely and we’re not really sure if this thing is going to work out.”