The chambers of four Andhra Pradesh High Court judges, including Chief Justice A.R. Dave’s, and the main court library were destroyed in a fire on Monday.
There were, however, no casualties.
The fire was apparently caused by an electric short circuit. “It may be a short circuit but we can’t definitely say anything yet...” said a fire brigade official, who did not want to be named.
“Like all buildings of the Nizam period, the high court building had a lot of wooden infrastructure so the fire spread easily,” the official said.
Fire engines battled with the blaze for five hours before dousing it.