Clashes leave 75 injured in Kashmir amid curfew | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Clashes leave 75 injured in Kashmir amid curfew

india Updated: Jul 21, 2013 10:35 IST
Peerzada Ashiq
Peerzada Ashiq
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

More than 75 people, including 64 security personnel, were injured and government property damaged in clashes in the Kashmir Valley despite a strict curfew on Saturday.

Srinagar city and all major towns of the valley's 10 districts remained under curfew amid heavy deployment of security forces for the second day.

There is public anger following the killing of four civilians in the BSF firing in the Ramban area, 200 km from Jammu, on Thursday. Forty civilians were also injured in the firing, which the state cabinet headed by chief minister Omar Abdullah condemned and described as "excessive use of force".

Fresh protests broke out on Saturday when protesters, demanding action against the personnel involved in the killings and alleged desecration of the Quran, hurled stones at security forces in Shopian, Kulgam, Qazigund and Tral areas of south Kashmir. Similar clashes were reported from north Kashmir's Sopore, Bandipora, Baramulla and Ganderbal areas. An army convoy was also attacked.

Sporadic clashes and violation of the curfew were also reported from parts of Srinagar, where a station house officer was injured after being hit with a stone near Airport Road.
Security forces used a large number of pellets, fired blank shots and hurled tear smoke shells to bring the situation under control in the disturbed areas.

"Forty-nine police and CRPF men were among the injured in clashes with protesters on Friday," said police spokesman of the zonal headquarters in Srinagar. Most casualties in the protests were from south Kashmir.

The spokesman said clashes on Saturday left 15 police and CRPF men and two civilians injured. "All injured are stable," he added.

Protesters attempted to set ablaze a CRPF camp, a panchayat ghar and a police station in separate incidents.

In the backdrop of the violence, the authorities have decided to continue with restrictions on Sunday.

DGP Ashok Prasad said, "Restrictions on the movement of people will stay at least till Sunday when the strike called by the separatists gets over."