Clixflix: The rivals
A venture of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, BIGFlix is the latest entrant in the home video and entertainment market...india Updated: Jul 01, 2008 15:49 IST
* A venture of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, BIGFlix is the latest entrant in the home video and entertainment market.
* Though it's still in soft launch mode, BIGFlix already operates 50 walk-in stores in ten Indian cities, seven of which were set up in Mumbai in January this year - in Kandivli, Malad, Chembur, Andheri, Mulund, Borivili and Thane. By March 2009, BIGFlix plans to have opened 36 city stores.
* BIGFlix allows you to rent a film by either logging on to the Internet, picking up your phone or by walking into a store.
* BigFlicks currently has 15,000 titles on offer and adds to their Video Rentals divisions on a day to day basis.
* It is also offering the hitherto untested options of downloading films straight on to your computer and that of streaming online video feeds.
* Now operating in six cities, Seventymm first made inroads into Mumbai in December 2006.
* In the past two-and-a half years, its subscription base has grown to 20,000. It offers 15,000 titles including regional films in twelve languages.
The only drawback, however, that the self-proclaimed "market leader" suffers from is the lack of a brick-and-mortar presence in many cities in which it operates.
* Even though it offers the option of calling in and texting, seventymm.com remains primarily an online enterprise.
* Like many of its competitors, this film-rental is also eyeing big game. It aims to have expanded to another twenty cities by the end of 2008 and has a goal of attracting a million subscribers by 2010.
* Bangalore based Catchflix.com started serving Mumbai film enthusiasts in January 2007.
* Unlike other mass-based rental services, Catchflix's 5,000 titles do not always include blockbusters and new releases.
* It also caters categorically to the niche film viewer. Those with a penchant for courtroom dramas, World War II films, westerns and world cinema, will have a feast.
* CatchFlix ha no physical presence in the city, once you rent a DVD online, it would then have to be shipped from Bangalore.
*But Bapna believes that online customers prefer his model more.