Coal India stake sale likely in Nov or Dec: Jaiswal

  • PTI, New Delhi
  • Updated: Oct 28, 2013 13:17 IST

The government on Monday said the five per cent stake sale in state-owned Coal India (CIL) is likely to take place either in November or December.

"It is likely that it (stake sale in Coal India) may happen either in November or December," coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal told reporters in New Delhi.

"You may be aware that the Coal India chairman has gone (overseas) for this purpose only," he added.

To woo foreign investors for the stake sale, the disinvestment department (DoD) has embarked on a roadshow spanning across five nations, including Germany and the UK.

The roadshow began last week amid threats by workers of the state-owned firm to go on strike in December against the government move to divest its stake further.

The minister also said that though the production of CIL has been hit in the current month on account of cyclone Phailin, however, "We are hopeful that (Coal India) will achieve its production target (of 482 million tonnes) for the current fiscal."

The government currently hold 90% stake in CIL. It has already selected seven merchant bankers, including Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse and SBI Caps, to manage the CIL stake sale which is to take place through the offer for sale route.

The disinvestment department was originally planning to offload 10% stake in CIL, but faced strong opposition from employees union who threatened to go on strike.

CIL workers' union had in September decided to defer its proposed three-day strike to December 17. Earlier, it was planned from September 23.

CIL got listed on the bourses in 2010 through an initial public offering in which the government raised Rs 15,199 crore by selling 10% stake.

The company has a cash balance of about Rs 60,000 crore.

The government plans to garner Rs 40,000 crore this fiscal by way of disinvestment and CIL's stake sale is expected to be the largest.

From Around the Web
Sponsored by Revcontent

also read

Pathankot search called off as nothing suspicious found after red alert
Show comments