Coke, champagne and a corpse | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 18, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Coke, champagne and a corpse

LESS THAN a month ago, Rahul Mahajan was a picture of composure, consoling his sister at his father Pramod Mahajan's funeral. Early on Friday, that image was shattered as the 32-year-old was rushed to Apollo Hospital and put on life-support system.

india Updated: Jun 03, 2006 15:08 IST

Mahajan Jr in ICU, aide dead

LESS THAN a month ago, Rahul Mahajan was a picture of composure, consoling his sister at his father Pramod Mahajan's funeral. Early on Friday, that image was shattered as the 32-year-old was rushed to Apollo Hospital and put on life-support system.

Doctors suspected poisoning and the police said it could have been caused by a drug overdose in a late-night binge at the 7, Safdarjung Road house allotted to the late BJP leader. Bottles of champagne and two packets containing a white powder -- suspected to be cocaine -- were recovered from the house.

Also at the party were his father's secretary Vivek Moitra and four other guests. Moitra -- a confirmed bachelor, with no known female friends -- was declared brought dead at the hospital. Sources it was a heady mix of cocaine and champagne that Mahajan and Moitra had consumed.

Three of the guests, identified as Rahul, Trishay and Karan (all in their early 20s), surrendered before the Mandir Marg police late on Friday. Sahil (the fourth guest and a friend of Moitra's from Mumbai) was absconding.

The trio's lawyer, Ranbir Singh Kundu, told reporters that Sahil had asked them to accompany him to a party at "a VIP's place". They reached Mahajan's place around 11 p.m. on Thursday. Moitra then demanded that they get cocaine.

The four then left the house around 11.45 p.m. to get the drug but Rahul opted out on the way, the lawyer claimed. The police said servants at the house too confirmed that the guests had left the house for some time.

Three of them returned with coke around 12. 30 a.m. after which Mahajan and Moitra snorted it. The lawyer said the three were not drug peddlers but had only fetched it after Moitra demanded it.

NDTV said one of the guests said that Mahajan used a Rs 500 note to snort the oke. Around 3 a.m., one of the visitors rushed out of the drawing room to inform the servants that Mahajan and Moitra were unconscious. The servants them rushed the two to the hospital.

The guests did not accompany them, the police said. However, the three claimed otherwise. The police were informed about the incident at 5 a.m. by the Apollo security staff.

They are investigating all possible angles in the case. They are also examining the last calls Mahajan and Moitra made on Thursday night. They said whether the two had taken coke could be confirmed only after they got the blood-test report of Mahajan and Moitra's post-mortem report.
Mahajan has been put on a ventilator.

“Mahajan had low blood pressure, oxygen levels were low and respiratory levels were also low. He barely had any pulse,” said Dr Ritu Rawat of Apollo Hospital. Doctors said his condition was critical but stable. He has been kept under observation for the next 72 hours.