The Bombay High Court has summoned the city Collector to appear before it on Monday to explain her inability to submit an inquiry report in connection with alleged irregularities in burials at the Bada Kabaristan in Mumbai.
A division bench of justices S B Mhase and V K Tahilramani were on Friday hearing a petition filed by Princess Street residents Mohammed Sankay and Mohammed Falke alleging that bodies were being buried without last rites.
The petitioners had also alleged that they had spotted a body lying in an open grave left to decompose at the graveyard.
Earlier, on March 11, the judges had visited the Muslim burial ground with police commissioner Hasan Gafoor, chief public prosecutor Satish Borulkar and Collector I A Kundan, following which the judges had ordered the Collector to probe into the alleged irregularities and submit a report to the court in two weeks.
However, Kundan was on leave and resumed duty only last week, Borulkar told the court on Friday.
"Although the process of filing the report is initiated, it is yet to be completed," he added.
Justice Mhase, unhappy with the Kundan's failure to file the report, said, "the Collector must know the seriousness of the matter".
Also, the judges warned that they may initiate contempt proceedings against Kundan if she cannot explain the cause of delay.